To earn the certificate, students must successfully complete (grade C or better) a total of 24 units: 6 required courses (18 units) and 6 elective units. The certificate must be completed within five years from the completion of the first course.
You may take courses in any order, however it is highly recommended that you begin with Practical Approaches for Implementing GIS and end with GIS Applications Lab.
Online technology courses require a PC with Internet access and appropriate software.
The cost for the program, including textbooks and parking, is approximately $4, 600.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows.
- Successful completion of one of the following:
Equivalent courses from other accredited colleges and universities completed within the last five years will be considered for transfer, up to a total of six units. Official transcripts are required.
- Colin Childs, B.A., Esri, Redlands
- Thomas R. Corrigan, M.P.A., Public Utilities Department, city of Riverside
- Brooke Reams, Geospatial Analyst, Esri
- Pinde Fu, Ph.D. Esri, Redlands
- David Jacobus, B.S., GIS Analyst, RBF Consulting, Irvine
- John Yaist, M.A., Technology Lead, Esri Developer Network, Redlands
- Doug Mende, M.B.A., Principal, Mende Consulting, Inc., Redlands
- Makram A. Murad-Al-Shaikh, M.S., Senior Instructor, Esri, Redlands
- Francelina A. Neto, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Cal Poly Pomona, Pomona
- Solomon N. Nimako, M.Sc. GIS, GIS/Analyst, city of Rancho Cucamonga
- Lisa A. Pierce, M.A., Cogstone Paleontology, Archaeology and History, Redlands
- Michael Fene, Contractor, Implementation Lead for the Common Chemical Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Sensor Interface, Joint Program Executive Office for Chemical and Biological Defense, San Diego
If a textbook is required, information is provided in the course listing when scheduled, on the confirmation you receive after enrolling, or by e-mail for an online class.
Students who earn the Geographic Information Systems Certificate can apply credit toward a specialized M.B.A. at La Sierra University. To learn more, call La Sierra University at (951) 785-2064.
Most classes are offered in a traditional classroom setting on weeknights and weekends. Up to 6.0 units may earned by completing online GIS software classes.
GIS Summer Academy
Earn the GIS Summer Certificate in one summer. This intensive format is particularly attractive to people who live some distance from UCR Extension and to those who have the summer open for continuing education.
Center (DTSTC) Technology (DTS) Toxic Substances Transportation (Caltrans) Veterans Affairs (CalVets) Water Resources o de Vehiculos Motorizados Digital Library Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise Certification Program Apprenticeship St Codes St Communicable Disease Engineering Environmental Occupational Disease Gambling Housing Policy Labor St Enforcement Labor Statistics Research L Right Way L Resource Law Enforcement General Library Measurement St Mines Geolo