Geocoding service Google Maps
- A flatter response format for address components that is easier to parse
- The ability to tag an address component with multiple types
- Both full names and abbreviations for countries and states
- Differentiation between rooftop and interpolated geocoder results
- Both the bounding box and recommended viewport for each result
We're happy to now announce a new Geocoding Web Service that adopts these improvements.
The Geocoding Web Service is intended to enable precaching of geocoder results that you know your application will need in the future. For example, if your application displays property listings, you can geocode the address of each property, cache the results on your server, and serve these locations to your API application. This ensures that your application does not need to geocode the address of a property every time it is viewed by a user. However we do ask that you regularly refresh your cache of geocoder results.
Note however that it is a requirement of the Maps API Terms of Service that you use the Geocoding Web Service in conjunction with a Google map. This means that when it comes time to use cached geocoder results in an application, the application must display the results or any data derived from them on a map generated using one of the Google Maps APIs or Google Earth API.
If your application needs to geocode arbitrary addresses that are entered by your users while they wait we recommend that you use the classes in the appropriate client API. This ensures that the requests your application generates reach Google directly from your users, which will improve the performance of your application and ensure it is resilient to unexpected spikes in use. For more details, I highly recommend this excellent blog post by our very own Mano Marks.
You might also like
Google Maps integrates Waze service
Google Maps with Flash CS5 Tutorial Geocoding
Probably Tiger Line
The US Census has a free database called TigerLine. It's not always accurate. I've worked with it and field surveyed some glaring anomalies.
Now, I'm not sure MapQuest and MSN Maps are derived from TigerLine, but chances are they are. I recall researching some commercial geocoding services that purportedly enhance the accuracy of TigerLine.
If you email me your address, I could check the TigerLine for the bay area and see if the anomaly you noticed correlates.
If you're in the Castro or UpperMarket, I could help you with a very accurate map. My maps are based on the San Franciso GIS Department's CAD maps.
Get information about traffic conditions. Check traffic reports, freeway closures.
7 Game of Thrones Apps That Will Get You Through the Much-awaited Winter — Gizmodo India
.. or Winterfell, you get a dialog box, which asks you to buy more maps. Unfortunately, you can't dismiss the dialogue box, leading to the obstruction of the cartography. ..
Flagstaff's rocky lava field became a little piece of the moon — azcentral
If American know-how could put a man on the moon, the man should bring back rocks to study. The government agreed, and in 1963, the .. Volcanoes were chosen because of the moon's volcanic history, the test site for its impact craters.
Google Maps Hacks
Book (O'Reilly Media)
- Used Book in Good Condition
Missing in Alaska without a trace — Anchorage Daily News
The official version of events, according to a still active missing person's bulletin from the Alaska State Troopers is that Griffis went into the wild "to test out a survival 'cocoon' that he had invented.
Map Scripting 101: An Example-Driven Guide to Building Interactive Maps with Bing, Yahoo!, and Google Maps
eBooks (No Starch Press)
Professional Android 2 Application Development
Garmin nuvi 880 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator
GPS or Navigation System (Garmin)
- Sleek, ultra-slim design fits in a pocket; High-sensitivity GPS receiver for fast satellite lock
- Pre-loaded with City Navigtor NT maps for North America, including more than 6-million name-searchable points of interest
- Speech recognition -- speak menu options and keep your eyes on the road
- Multi-destination routing -- enter several destinations and get the best route to all of them; Where am I? and Where s my car? features
- Full feature set -- text to speech for spoken directions with real street names; MP3 player, and Photo viewer